Saturday, June 11, 2011

Slightly controlled chaos

So I've been absent lately. Here's an update!

I am now wheat/gluten free. Ish. It's less of a bitch to do this in 2011 than it was in 1986-2000, because LO AND BEHOLD MAYBE WE SHOULD BE ALLERGEN-AWARE. Also, East Coast vs. Midwest culture sort of makes a difference. People here try on food fads like they do shoes. The Midwest...not so much. The Jell-O obsession never left.

Why? Because wheat has been making me sick. I've been generally feeling less than optimal for several months and I'm going through my allergens, one by one, to figure out how much of what, exactly, can I eat on a daily/weekly schedule. And learning what happens if I go overboard.

So far, not eating wheat has made the biggest difference. Testing corn will be difficult, as I already know that corn syrup makes me sick, so I can't test my corn tolerance via "corn sugar" or whatever the new fancy term is that the We <3 Corn advocacy group is parading around.

I don't know that I need to be gluten free - trace and even small amounts of wheat don't seem to bother me. Neither does 1 beer (haven't tested more than one at a time yet). I will get tested for celiac disease the next time I see a doctor for something other than a sinus infection, as well as ask for a full panel of allergen tests (prick tests, blood work, etc.)

Other news... ResNet is in 6 days...There was a bat in my kitchen this morning...I stuck my foot/shoe/bottom third of my pants into a bucket of glaze at the pottery studio today while trying to seal it...Didn't check the weather before leaving the house and had to borrow an umbrella from the CAW people...

Yeah, it's turning into an interesting Saturday. Now I'm going to have a beer, rinse out my jeans, do some laundry and work on setting up the new website.

No comments: