Monday, December 20, 2010

Peeved, as in Pet

You ever have something that REALLY grinds at you? REALLY gets under your skin, until you glare at it and make scary, terrible noises?

Those things are usually called pet peeves. Linguistically, it appeared in 1919, and has its roots in peevish (ornery or ill-tempered), and the word is considered a "back-formation" (where you create a new word from an old word by removing parts of it, which may or may not change what part of speech it is. Ex. couth from uncouth, shevelled from dishevelled, burgle from burglar, etc.)

Some people know what my pet peeves are. I have several, but the number one pet peeve that manages to piss me off at least once a week is what I call "Don't you know your own email address, other Erin Scott?"

You see, there are other Erin Scotts in the world. I have accepted this terrible fact because there really wasn't much sense in bemoaning it, and killing all of those impostors would just talk so much time, you know? But it wouldn't be so bad if I didn't get their stupid email all of the time. There are about 7 other Erin Scotts for which I get emails ALL. THE. TIME. It wouldn't be a big deal, either, if it wasn't for the sheer stupidity of people who share my name. I mean, seriously? Who does not know their own email address?

Now, it could be that some of these folks just don't want to give out their actual email address. To which I say, fine, be weird like that, but keep me the hell out of it. It could also be...that.... actually I have no other ideas on why the stupid Erin Scotts out there give out my email address.

In this day and age, it is of critical importance that you have an email address. And that you check your email. And that you respond to email (hopefully in a polite and timely fashion). Somewhere in there, I'm pretty certain that you type your email address at least once. Probably when logging into your email.

I assure you, I am the only erin.scott@gmail.com. I am an early adopter: when Gmail first started coming out, and my tech friends were all OOOOH GMAIL, I said, "Hey, throw an invite my way?" And they did. And I got erin.scott@gmail.com (just like I also got Voice and Wave: as an early adopter). I tend to be on the edge of technology - not the cutting nor the bleeding edge, but I'm rollin' along, fairly in the know. With a name that's not truly unique, you have to be on the edge to get what you want.

I actually have a response written and saved as a signature in Apple Mail, so that when I get email intended to go towards Other Erin Scotts, all I have to do is hit about 3 buttons, and the original sender will receive an email that goes something like this:
I'm sorry, but you have the wrong email address for Erin Scott. Please check your records. You may wish to contact the intended recipient through other means.
Additionally, it should be noted that erin.scott@gmail.com and erinscott@gmail.com are actually the same address.

Thank you,
Erin Scott
I get a lot of "erinscott@gmail.com" mail. Obviously.

This one time, I almost had a fight with someone over email, who was seriously insistent that I was fucking with her, and trying to get out of paying extra money for a second cat in the apartment. She got the Other Erin Scotts dad involved because he was a co-signer on the lease or something, and then he started getting all up in my e-face about lying and dealing with consequences. Sir, I think you have bigger problems than me. Such as the fact that your daughter is an apparent idiot, because a) she doesn't know what her email address is and/or b) she thought that she could get away giving out false information.

I have some messages to the Other Erin Scotts out there:

To the Erin Scott in the DC area, pay your freaking landlord already.

To the Erin Scott in California, your level of interest in fitness and gyms is sort of frightening.

To the Erin Scott in Colorado: Your dad wants to talk to you.

To the Erin Scott in Australia: I know waaaaay too much about you. You are a nurse, you live possibly in Adelaide, you like gyms, and you might have a small animal? Not sure on the last tidbit.

To all of the Other Erin Scotts: GET A CLUE.

No comments: