Wednesday, December 15, 2010

I can see the Finish Line...

...and it's waaaaaaaaay in the distance. Le sigh.

We've wrapped up the last official day of interviews as of 4:00 today. I was scheduled to have a 4:30 interview, but they didn't show. Their loss! I have a rescheduled interview for tomorrow at 2:00 for a student who showed up at the wrong time yesterday, and who was greeted with the Eyeballs Over The Glasses Look, while I stated "You are very late." I think I might have scared the shit out of him. I've decided to be nice and let him interview, seeing as he was very apologetic at the time. He did send me a follow up email profusely thanking me for the opportunity to interview despite his mistake. Unfortunately, what he doesn't know is that unless he proves to have some mad media skills, he's not getting hired.

You see, I've already chosen my ten new hires. :-)

Using that ranking system I mentioned in my previous post, we have the following break down of scores to the left. The only way I'm hiring the last student has far less to do with his mistaken time slot and far more to do with the fact that 30% of the applicants who interviewed are currently ranked above a 4. Not ranked a 4 or above (that would be 42%), but above a 4. With stats like that, I know who I'm hiring. (There are currently 7 students who did not interview, either because they didn't show up, or didn't fill out a place on the interview schedule.)

Given what the numbers look like, I'm probably going to hire just that top 30%. I said between 10 and 12 - if I want to hire 12, I'd have to deliberate between four 4s, and I'm lazy efficient.

So tomorrow will not be spent deliberating painfully over a wealth of 3.5s and 4s - tomorrow will be spent catching on all million emails that I've gotten over the past few days and haven't answered because I've been interviewing students for the past 5 days/16 hours. Oh yeah, and I'm helping run a phon-a-thon, too. Did I mention that? No? Well, maybe that's a discussion for another day, seeing as it's 10:30pm, I haven't eaten dinner despite the fact that I've been cooking all evening (ParkerPants food, crock potting for tomorrow, just now getting to actual dinner).

Mmm, red sauce, cannellini beans and broccoli... tasty dindin!

No comments: