Thursday, December 16, 2010

Do you hear what I hear...?

It's the whole freaking Handel's Alleluia Chorus. In my head. Because hiring is done. And I'm sending out 33 emails as you read this (or maybe it's even done!).

If I didn't have SO MUCH work to do tomorrow, I would seriously consider playing hooky and go skiing as a celebratory reward to myself. But alas, I have a backlog of work that is absolument horrible. So I'll be spending Friday working on BMEC fines and fees instead of swoosh-ing down a snow-covered hill. But I'll live. Maybe.

In other news, I've been asked to sing the prelude to the Christmas Mass that my entire family is apparently cantoring. It's the Von Scott Family Singers/Players, here to amaze you with the multi-talented children and sheer variety of creative genius. I don't really want to get into the issue of "Erin + Religion = Dramatic Familial Conversations" - I'm thinking of this as an opportunity to perform a lovely song for a group of people who will think it's just that: lovely. I'm still undecided about what I'm going to sing, but I'm leaning towards the following choices:
  • I Wonder As I Wander (American Appalachian)
  • Still, Still, Still (German/Austrian)
  • Entre le boeuf et l'âne gris (French)
  • If I could find the sheet music/full lyrics, I would attempt "Third Carol for Christmas Morning/Ye sons of men with me rejoice" which appears to maybe be an Irish carol? Unfortunately, I can't find ANYTHING, ANYWHERE, other than this thread on some random discussion site. So, if any of the singers who happen to read my blog out there also happen to have a copy of "The New Oxford Book of Carols" or O'Muirithe's book on carols and wouldn't mind me making photocopies...
I think Christmas music still is my favorite to sing. It's so pretty, and generally happy and sweet.

No comments: