Sunday, March 6, 2011

"Here we are now, entertain us!"

One of the greatest things that I love about the Internet is that I can usually get access to media pretty fast. I want a movie? I can rent it on iTunes or Amazon, or sometimes watch it on instant view on Netflix. Or I can buy it from iTunes or Amazon. I can order DVDs to get in my mail box online, I can watch my favorite shows on Hulu, and older shows on Netflix. I can stream music from last.fm, Pandora and a million other places, as well as buy music from Amazon or iTunes.

But what happens when I can't find what I want? Specifically, let's consider the case of How I Met Your Mother and The Big Bang Theory.

I don't watch TV on a normal schedule. There are some weeks where I watch 0 hours. And then there are other weeks where I watch TONS. So things like Hulu and Netflix are great: I can watch what I want, when I want. Sometimes things will expire, but I get alerts and it's usually up online for a month or longer.

Now, HIMYM and BBT aren't on Hulu. They are only on CBS' website. And they only keep a single episode up for a week-ish. So when I don't have time to keep up, I'm screwed. I love both shows, but I've only seen the first two episodes of each this TV season because I have a pretty active life and don't have time to sit there and argue with CBS about being a stupid head (like they'd listen to me, anyways). So what am I to do?

Well, I can buy the season on iTunes. But I don't want to keep it. I just want to watch it once to keep current. Maybe I'll buy it on DVDs later, but I don't want to invest $60 right now on digital content. I can't rent the shows from iTunes, nor Amazon.

So let's get this straight. There isn't a free streaming service available. There isn't a renting service available. And the only way I can catch up is to pay $60 on iTunes.

Well, CBS, I am not spending 60 goddamned dollars on TV. I don't have cable because it's not necessary and I'm not going to pay through the nose for your content. I typically have a problem with people illegally downloading things, but when you make it nigh impossible for me to get reasonably priced access to content and materials, I really feel like I have very little choice in the matter. I can wait for it to come out on Netflix and get it in the mail, or I can torrent it with very few actual repercussions (statistically speaking).

Given that this is all part of a service that aims at delivering instant access to anything I want, they are failing me. I'm being told, on one hand, that I should expect to get just about anything I want with the click of a button. On the other hand, there are two rather popular shows that I can't get like that, and so I'm forced to make a decision: illegally download something or be patient with content even though I can get other, similar content in a legal manner. I'm faced with a decision that really isn't that hard.

I don't have a problem paying for content. What I do have a problem with is a system that sets me up with two choices that are both against the norm of other services offered and services advertised. When renting content becomes too difficult (and by difficult, I mean I'm LOOKING at iTunes, Hulu, Amazon and Netflix for solutions; I have accounts on each and regularly buy and watch other things from all of them), I'm going to say "Screw the system" and just download stuff.

[I won't do it on the Yale network. My current roommate works for InfoSec, I work for ITS and it would just look really bad for her to have to yell at her roommate for a  DMCA violation. I don't download as a guest on other people's networks, because if something bad happens, it's not their fault and I don't want to cause problems for them. It will happen at home, on my Mac Mini, through Transmission and a throttled download/upload rate so as not to hog the bandwidth.]

I'm not a terrible, unethical person for doing this. I'm someone who's frustrated by the system. I see a workaround, and though it's not my first choice, it will get the job done and I will get what I want in the end. I understand that some people might have issues with my choices, but as I've explained, I've looked for reasonable, legal means to get what I want. They don't exist. And I'm not the only person with this issue, either. Until CBS gets its head on straight, I'm going to download and watch content at my leisure.

No comments: