Sunday, December 19, 2010

"Research"

I've (more or less) decided to sing "I Wonder As I Wander" for the Christmas Mass prelude. I spent some time watching/listening to YouTube videos, to get a sense of what works and doesn't work with the song.

The first hit on YouTube is of Vanessa Williams, from a TV special called "Christmas is Coming: Rob Mathes and Very Special Friends." It's, well, Very Special.



*cringe* Can I get some pancakes to go with that syrup?

Barbara Streisand has something to say on the subject of syrup, also.



Maybe we should just get a bucket in which to collect all of the syrup. To be fair, I sort of can't stand her at all/wish she would STFU already, so my opinion is definitely biased.


Next up, an Irish singer named Maureen Hegarty.



WOW. Totally different. Totally awesome. It's faster, and lighter, with an emphasis on phrasing that brings a whole new element to the song.

The Cambridge Singers sing a nice arrangement, which continues the same theme of a slightly faster tempo, and features some very pretty, lush harmonies.



Sadly, I'm not singing this with a choir, but if I were, I rather like this arrangement. I'm not sure who's it is, but it's nice.


And then, I started laughing, because stuff got crazy.



I have no idea who this poor man is, but did no one tell him that it's of Appalachian/folk origin, not operatic?


I think the next hit has my favorite title: "I Wonder As I Wander Christian Christmas songs music Gospel classic popular famous carols." WHOA I had no idea that the real song title was such a mouthful! Good thing I have YouTube to help me learn.


I can hear my choir director cringing. Seriously.

And then there's some non-traditional stuff...


OK, not what I was expecting, but you know. Whatever makes you happy.

It subsequently got freaking weird. You really only need to listen to the first 10 seconds to understand.



UM. What the HELL?!

For the record, I do recognize electronic music as its own (albeit strange) art form. It does take some skill to mix and manipulate sound through a program to result in something interesting. I just also happen to have some purist in me, which currently says "Aw HELL no" if you ask it about techno remixes of songs I like.

I'll be basing my phrasing off of Maureen Hegarty, obviously. And I've learned what NOT to do, which is equally important. For starters, I will not be inviting a techno-remix dude to help me out. I might, however, figure out how to play a dulcimer in 3 days, and accompany myself. Though I'll need to figure out how to get a lap dulcimer to stay upright while I stand.

Memo to self: call Mom. "MOM! Do we have something I can safely perch Dad's really expensive musical toy on?"

No comments: